Thursday, February 14, 2008

Before I was married

Some things that I wish that I had learned before I got married

It is possible to love your spouse and hate them at the same time. Infact, there will be times that you will actually consider committing homicide just so that you can get away from them for a while.

Unless you are prepared to hate your life, don’t live with your in-laws. No matter how much you love them now, once you have lived with them, the happy feelings that you have towards them will change.

It is not normal to spend all of your free time together. I don’t know what the definition of normal should be in this case, but trust me, sooner or later you are going to want to go out with your friends, without your spouse, so that you can complain about them.

You never get any privacy once you are married. Maybe this one just applies to me, but I actually don’t get to be alone in my own house anymore. If I am in the shower, my husband has no problem walking in and using the toilet. (Or, just randomly poking his head into the shower to scare me.) If I am using the toilet, he will come in to chat. I have tried locking the door, but then he just stands at the door asking me if I’m done yet to annoy me. Now, don’t get me wrong, this totally works both ways. We lived together for 3 years before we tied the knot. I got all sorts of privacy in the bathroom. Is there a magic spell that is broken the day you get married that makes it okay to invade each other’s privacy in the bathroom? I’m just saying that I wish I knew about this phenomenon before I got married.

You need to make sure that you tell you’re spouse everything. I tried not telling mine everything, but it’s just too hard to figure out what I have and haven’t told him. Also, this way there are NO surprises waiting for either of us.

Sex is messy. Now I was not a virgin when I got married. I had had sex before. Even with my then boyfriend, now husband. But we always used a condom. Now that we are married, and throwing caution to the wind, and doing without the condoms, it is MESSY. And holy god, nobody told me that it would smell 2 days later.

Don’t get me wrong. I love being married. I love being married to my husband. But these are just a few things that I wish that someone, anyone had told me before we got hitched.

Have a great day all!

~kris

No comments: