Wednesday, February 27, 2008

It's just one of those days...

It's been one of those days. You know the ones where you want to rip out your own arms and beat yourself to death with them? Ya, that's the kind of day I am having. But in order to properly fill you in on why I am feeling this way, I need to give you the whole boring backstory. So here goes . . .

In March of 2006 M and I sold our condo. We made a nice profit from it and purchased a townhome. We used our profits to lay new carpeting, buy new appliances, things of those nature, when we moved into our townhome in May 2006. In June of 2006, I was offered a promotion. It was a dream come true for me - with one horrible downside. New job was located in Toronto, Ontario. M and I lived in Vancouver, British Columbia. So we hemmed and hawed and finally decided, that yes, this was a huge opportunity for me, and yes, we would take it. So we sold our lovely townhome (making absolutely NO money as we had only owned it for 6 months) and packed all of our stuff, and moved 3000 km's (roughly 1500 miles) to Toronto. We didn't know anyone other than my mum and dad, and while that's all well and good, a newly married couple does NOT want to live with her mum. So we bought a townhome in Toronto. Nice place and didn't need a lot of work. This was a plus. Then M and I started having some "marital" problems. Basically, my mum is a spiteful cow, and while I love her dearly, she hate's M with a passion that I wish she would put to better use. She actually told me on my wedding day that I was making a huge mistake. Mostly cause she liked my ex-boyfriend better, but that is a whole other rant for a different day. (Mum and I talk all the time, just not about my marriage, or my husband.) During this time of woe for me, my mother in law phoned us from Vancouver and delivered the news that we all suspected, but feared. She had been diagnosed with throat and tongue cancer (50 years of drinking and smoking will do that to ya!) and was having to undergo some surgery. So we put our differences aside and flew home in June of 2007. (Home is Vancouver. Always.) It was during this trip that M and I found our way back to each other, and while it wasn't under the best of times, it did help us both to realize what's important to each of us. As Lynne (my Mother in Law) was recovering from surgery, M and I talked about the future. After a few weeks of of being at home, M realized that he wanted to spend as much time as he had left helping his mom. And I agreed with him. So, in August of 2007, M left Ontario and moved back to Vancouver. A long 3 months later, in late October 2007, I too left Ontario and moved back to Vancouver. We rented out our townhouse and thought, this is great, we have a nice couple living in and taking care of our townhouse until we decide what to do with it.

(That long diatribe is the backstory)

Back to the future!

So, here I sit, looking at my bank account, and wondering why, oh why, did I end up with the WORST renters ever?

Since November 2007, when they moved in, they have yet to pay their rent on time, or in full. I am still $480 short for February, and it's almost the end of the month. Our bank account can't afford to float our mortgage in Ontario, plus our rent in BC. Now, smart people will say, then just sell the property. The thing is, we are so broke that we can't. In order for us to cover off the realtor fees, the lawyer fees and the fees for breaking the mortgage early, we would need to sell for a certain amount, and the Ontario housing market does not currently believe that my townhouse is worth that certain amount. So we're stuck with it, and with them.

And now that I have finished ranting, and having my wee pity party, I feel better.

thanks.

No comments: