Monday, February 18, 2008

I got my Christmas Present!!!

Okay, so YES, I do know that it is mid-February. However, over this past weekend, I got my christmas present from my wonderful, fabulous, love him to pieces husband. Wanna know what it is? I bet you do. But I need to fill you in on the backstory first.

I am a Contracts Administrator at work. I have to wear business suits, and heels, and generally look very professional. And, if you are reading this blog, you have seen the picture that I have from my wedding - I am normal looking, not covered in tattoos, etc. (Not that there is anything wrong with that, I'm just saying, ya know?)

I have 4 tattoos. (Or I did, until this past weekend). They are all special to me.

The first one I got when I was 19. It was a gift from a friend, who was sharing a really cool tradition from her home town in China with me - and that was to get ink of your sign, or related to your sign. I am a Pisces. So she paid for me to get a simple fish on my back. It's very plain, just black, and sits a couple of inches above my ass on my lower back.

The second, I got about a year later. It's just above my right ankle and is an angel fish. A really good friend of mine had just passed, and she was also a pisces. I thought it appropriate to honour her with another fish, and she was kinda like a guardian angel while she was here with me. Always looking out for me, very selfless, you get the idea. So, angel fish it was.

The third is on my left shoulder blade. It's a very colourful cartoon bat. If you've seen the movie "Fern Gully" then you can picture my bat. The bat in that movie "Batty" looks a lot like the one I have on my back. If you've not seen it, it's a cartoon bat with it's wings spread - like he's in flight. My tattoo artist custom drew him for me, and he kinda represents my flight from my old life (filled with cheating boyfriends, drugs and a lot of booze), into my new one. I got the bat shortly after I met and started dating my husband. While he didn't exactly "save me" from that lifestyle (I had already left it), he is a huge influence for my not going back to it when times get tough. Don't get me wrong, I still like to have a drink or seven, but now it's once a year instead of once a day. Everything in moderation. But I digress.

The fourth one is a vine that starts on my left foot. It wraps up and around my left ankle (on the outside of my leg, not around my leg) and then opens into an orchid that sits just above the outside of my left ankle. I drew the vine freehand on my leg, and my artist just embellished on it from there. It was the beginning of something, but I didn't know what.

So you have the background. Oops. Almost all of the background. Daisies are my absolute favourtie flowers. I carried a bouquet of them at my wedding, and I knew that I wanted to get a daisy tattoo. However, daisies are quite girly, and I'm not exactly a girly girl. So I was stuck.

Here's where it starts to get good.... For christmas, hubby bought me a gift certificate for a new tattoo. He worked with our tattoo artist (we go to the same guy, and he's AWESOME!) to create a tattoo for me. It's evil daisies. Or rather, it's three daisies that look like they are in the middle of a bar fight. Petals ripped and torn off, angry faces, everything. I had no input on the design, hubby worked with our artist and then they just sprang the custom work on me when I showed up on Saturday. I thought I was going in for a consult to have Josh (our artist) create something. Nope, I was shown the custom piece he had designed for me and fell in love with it. Into the chair I went, and now, I am about an hour away from having my 5th (and by far the largest) tattoo finished.

Now you may be wondering why it's not done. Well, because it's on my calf. It takes up the whole back of my left calf, and if you've never had work done on your calf, let me tell you... it hurts like a bitch. Your muscles jump and quiver and you just want to be done. 4 hours in I quit. (Yes, I am a big whiney baby, but the pain was too much!) So I will go back in a month when this first bit is done healing and have him finish it up.

So there you go. Now you know what I got for christmas. As soon as I can get access to a digital camera I will take a few pics and attempt to post them up. I am so happy with it, I am still grinning.

Just in case you didn't already know.... I have the best husband in the entire world. And I am the luckiest lady ever to have such a great guy.

Hope everyone else is well out there.....
~kris

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds a fuckin good tatt. I can't wait to get inked again, I got my two tatts and have hungered for more for the past coupla years.